2009년 11월 14일 토요일

Geocaching in Mt. Geomdan

Geomdansan-1 Grave (GC13Z8Z)
Today, I woke up at 6:00 AM, and prepared all items by myself including some snacks, chocolates, Gimbap, hot water, and especially Makgeolli. Usually, my wife helped me, but today she was in her mother's home with Jin, and I was alone. I had suggested going Mt. Geomdan together, but she rejected because weather forecast said that today's temperature would drop down below zero. Shinyred also had other caching plan. So, I was alone today.
I took a bus in front of the gate 7 of Jamsil subway station. i had hesitated a little bit in front of Lottecastle because there was a cache, but I skipped it. It was too cold, and today's goal was Mt. Geomdan. I postponed it for someday's pleasure.
I got off the bus in front of Animation high school (what a funny name!), and followed other muggles. A few minutes later, I remembered a starting coordination that dts113 noted in the description of this cache. I returned and went toward that coordination.

You have to get off right after passing by this bridge. Bus will turn right.
Bus stop is here.

It took a little bit long to reach in this cache. I heavily sweated already, so I took off my windbreaker here. There was the tombs of Yu Giljun's family.
My gpsr pointed at the outside of the tombs, but I could find the cache at the inside.
Good start!

Under Rock  (GC1NEN4)

This is mystery cache. As I said before, I don't like this type of cache. But this cache was a little bit better because it was sudoku cache. You can easily find the sudoku solver at the internet. :-)
Mt. Geomdan has steep passes in early stage. It was too hard to keep looking at my gpsr, and I passed by the zero point! I could know that near the next cache! I had to return back to the zero point.
There was near a muggle's rest area. I saw that several muggles had a rest here with drinking water. But... the zero point was not on a trail. My gpsr pointed at large rocks several meters below from the trail. If you have visited here, you can remember the sign 'Don't go outside the trail. Unless you will be punished with a fine.' How should I have done in this case?  Right. I went down to the rocks when there was no muggles.
The rocks were big, so it took some time to seek. It was a little bit difficult. I rounded there twice. Finally I found the cache! Oh my godness! Is it really a terrain level 2.5 and difficulty level 2 cache? I think it should be more than 3 for both. The levels must have been ranked by owner's own ranking criteria.
Down-view at the cache point

up-view at the cache point

Did you see the pictures? You can hide behind the cache point against muggles on the trail.
Please be careful if you try this cache! Cache is in a not much dangerous point.

Geomdansan View (GC1NEMY)
I just found that I skipped GC1P0KH. How did it happen? I don't remember. I was so tired and so cold. It took so long time to find the previous cache.
Anyway, I returned back to the trail, and had a short break with Makgeolli. Then went up to this cache.
The cache point was scenic place. But it was too foggy. :-(

Several muggles watched this scenery on a big rock. I took a place below the rock because my gpsr pointed at around there. Actual point where my gpsr pointed was a few tens meter below a cliff.

I couldn't go there, instead I looked around here. But I could not find the cache. Anyway, thanks for the scenery!

Geomdansan-2 fine view (GC13Z93)
I continued to walk up to the next cache thru the trail. But I could find that my gpsr pointed to the other direction.  I leaped over a fence, and walked to the direction. Soon, I saw the great scenic point! What a wonderful place!
I had a rest on top of rocks, and watched a scenery with having some bananas and Makgeolli. At that time, I was frightened because a muggle's head was suddenly rose up below the rocks in front of me. It was just like a cliff, but there was simple rock-climbing course.

After short break, I could find that cache. As I mentioned, weather forecast said that today's temperature would drop below zero. It must be true, it was very windy and cold. It was difficult to write a log because of cold.

Geomdansan-3 mountain top (GC13Z94)
I walked by ridgeline and steep passes on the way to the top of Mt. Geomdan.

Approaching to the top, I was surprised to find the place where there were so many muggles.

I heard that Mt. Geomdan is very famous. I felt that at this moment.


There were more muggles than expected. Some muggles had Makgeolli, and impressively one party of muggles had a bottle of 21-year-old Valentine whisky there.
Unfortunately, I could not see any scenery due to too heavy fog.
I found that the cache was not on the top. I went down to the direction that my gpsr guided.

Wow! What a great place to have a rest! I wanted to have a rest in a warm place because it was too cold and too windy. This cache let me have a warm rest! Thank you for the fantastic rest place!

I unpacked my backpack and displayed it. :-) You can see hot water, Makgeolli bottle, the cache container, CITO plastic bag (yellow), one roll of Gimbap, and other misc.
I don't have a stick yet, so I brought a monopod as a replacement of the stick. It was very helpful!

From now on, it was a downhill. I felt that Mt. Geomdan was easier than Mt. Baekma.

Rest area in rocks (GC1ADW1)
I think this cache was the worst cache among today's caches I tried.
The place was good rest place in front of a pile of stones. At first time, I was surprised there were many rocks and stones. At second time when I approached at the zero point, I was surprised again because my gpsr was getting crazy. At third time when I decided to refer to the description and hints, I was a little bit irritated that cache size was micro. MICRO? Oh my godness! I think here is suitable for even regular cache! How can I find the micro cache here? To make matters worse, difficulty level is just 2.
I gave up. I even could not find the place where the hint pictures were taken. :-(

Geomdansan-6, Turn right (GC189GA)

It was fun! There were so many muggles walking down the trail. It was not easy to be stealth.
I thought for a while, and I got an idea!

I pretended to a photographer. Fortunately, the zero point looked good place to take a picture of the snapshot of fall, 'fallen leaves and mountain climbing!'
Even though a family had a rest just 2m away from the cache point, they must not be able to think me strange! Photographer and a film canister were so natural combination!


Geomdansan, Another offroad (GC17EEM)
To reach at this cache point, I had to cross a small beautiful mountain stream.
Here was so peaceful place. I decided to leave the stress head TB here. Poor stress head TB had exploded maybe due to too heavy stress. I think he can loosen his stress with clean air and peaceful environment. I took Dokdo coin, which was my first Dokdo coin.

Traditional Cache  Geomdansan-7, Under the big rock. (GC18ACE)
This cache is also problematic. It was difficult to find it because there were many muggles up and down.
I searched many places several times, but I could not find it. I almost gave up, and it was final trial. I kicked a stone, and then I saw some colorful thing was buried in the ground, and it was the cache. I could understand its burial when I picked up. It was so thin.
Cache container was filled with water. I think owner should maintain this cache. I tried to dry a log sheet, but because it was so cold, it couldn't.

Hogooksa Temple Enterance (GC1P0KQ)
It was not easy to find the zero point. I just searched around here, and I found the cache where it should be.
This cache was also filled with water. Just logsheet was OK. I saw that jumbo352 put new log sheet with waterpoof. Thank you for the dry log sheet!

Geomdansan-4 Hyeonchungtap (GC13Z97)
When I reached at the zero point, most dangerous muggles (2 boys) were there. Fortunately, their dad and mom called them to go inside the house to avoid the cold weather. I searched zero point. At first time, it seemed easy, but I could not find it. So I decided to see the cache description and logs. I saw jumbo352's log mentioning that the construction were undergoing here. It might be muggled due to construction. This cache was the last cache that I tried today, but it was DNF.

I cound not find the statue in a picture in a description. Instead, I took a picture, and attached it. Is it a new one?

I can understand now from the cache hunting why Mt. Geomdan is famous. Frankly speaking, many caches in this mountain are a little bit problematic. I think their difficulty levels, and terrain levels should be revised. But mountain was beautiful.
Thank you, all owners of the caches in this mountain, for bringing me this beautiful mountain.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기